Thursday, October 13, 2011

Shopping and tears

Today I arrived at Wal-Mart to learn, big surprise, that my prescription was not ready yet. Rather than sit on the cold metal bench, I decided to wander around the store to see all the things I didn't need but felt compelled to buy.

For the first time in a very long time, I wandered through the infant section. My arrival there seemed like second nature, and I smiled as I saw the cute outfits, soft blankets, and beautiful furniture for babies. As I was testing out a baby swing/bouncer combo, I was suddenly struck with tears.

I have not shopped in the baby section of any store for so long because doing so broke my heart and reopened the wound at the very core of my being. Today's tears were tears of joy. I realized I wasn't nervous, pained or feeling any other negative feeling as I browsed through onesies and checked prices for baby necessities. I was just peacefully, happily shopping for my baby.

I sit and type this with tears in my eyes. Who knew a simple shopping trip could make me so happy?

No comments:

Post a Comment